Nearly 60% of Americans have less than $1,000 in savings, and almost 40% have no savings at all. If saving is that hard for adults, how do we teach kids to save? The answer is to make saving money a habit. Scientific studies show that habits formed young tend to stick.
Since April is both the National Financial Literacy Month and CUNA's National Youth Savings Challenge, we are using the opportunity to encourage kids to experiment with saving regularly. So, we invite you to stop by any of offices during the month and work with us to teach your kids to save!
- Money Tree - Any youth member making a deposit to their account at Velocity Community during the month of April is automatically entered for a chance to win $100 from the Money Tree!1
- Week One - April 2-6: Open a brand-new Kirby Kangaroo Kids Club Account during the week of April 2-6, and we will make their first $5 deposit!2
- Week Two - April 9-13: Open new Claim Your Youth checking account with a VISA debit card during the week of April 9-13, and we will deposit $252 to the new account to get them started.
- Week Three - April 16-20: Everyone under the age of 18 who visits one of our branches during the week of April 16-20 gets to take their best guess at the number of the pennies in the pig for a chance to win the pig and it's money. Closest guess is the winner!3
- Week Four - April 24-28: Open a special Kid's CD (also called a Share Certificate) during the week of April 24-28, and they will earn 6.0% APY for 6 Months.4 These are a great lesson in compound interest!
Parents: On Wednesday, April 18 at 5:15 pm, we will be holding a workshop on "Kids & Money: Skills to Survive and Thrive." Watch for details!
1 Must be 17 or younger to enter. Entries occur automatically 4/1/18-4/30/18 with deposits to any youth savings, CD or checking account. Other entries can be made by providing your name and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Need not be present to win. Odds of winning based on number of entries. Prize(s): One $100 prize to be deposited to winner's VCCU account. Second $100 prize may become available if VCCU wins National Savings Challenge from CUNA. Member responsible for any applicable taxes. Drawing will on 5/9/18 at Velocity Community.
2 To receive bonus, the member cannot have ever held the applicable account type at VCCU at any time previously.
3 Must be 17 years of age or younger to participate. In the event that more than one person guesses the exact amount, the winner will be determined at random.
4 APY = Annual Percentage Yield. Only members 17 and under are eligible for this special Certificate. Youth Certificate special requires a minimum investment amount of $250, and a maximum amount of $500 new CD money. Penalty for early withdrawal may apply.
Claim Your Youth is designed for building key life skills such as managing finances while you are still at home and can get advice from your parents (and your Credit Union!).
- Youth Checking Account - includes a Visa Debit Card that earns reward points!
- Youth Certificates with special terms just for youth under 18 years of age
- Secured Visa Credit Card to start building credit. It's easy to switch to a regular card once you are older.
The Kirby Kangaroo Club offers our young savers new savings options, club activities, and Kirby Bucks. It's only for kids 12 and under, so no adults allowed! Visit the Kirby Kangaroo website.
Kirby Bucks - Save Money and Earn Rewards!
For every $5 you deposit into your account, Velocity Community Credit Union will give you 1 Kirby Buck. (There is a limit of 10 Kirby Bucks per day.) Save your Bucks and use them to buy fun stuff.
Make the Grade…and get paid! Beginning June 1st, bring us your report card for the full school year and we will deposit $25* into your Velocity Community account for “Making the Grade!” To qualify, Elementary students will need all “PRs” or better, and Middle through 4 years of college** (full time, 12 credit hours/semester) must have a 3.0 or better.*** Just bring it in to one of the tellers, and we’ll deposit the money into your account. Hurry in, because you only have until August 1, 2018.
*This program is not retroactive and may be revised or cancelled by the Credit Union at any time.
**For college students, completion of twelve (12) credit hours per semester will be considered full-time.
***Report cards or equivalent reports must be received at the Credit Union no later than August 1st for you to receive $25.00 for the school year just completed.
Coverdell Education Savings Accounts - start savings for college today!
We're here to help, so just ask! Get started today.